How can you be more competitive and win more jobs? Do a job-walk.
When estimating electrical cost it is important to have all the details possible. The more details you have the more competitive you can be and the more jobs you can win and the more money you can make!
On projects where you are estimating electrical wiring in existing buildings it is to your advantage to go “see” the job. When you go see the job it is also called doing a “job-walk”. It is not always possible to do a job-walk but if you can you will greatly increase the likelihood of winning the job. If you do not those who do a job-walk will have a distinct advantage. When attending a job-walk, if the scope of the work is not clear – ask questions to get all the answers!
Here are some key questions to ask at a job-walk:
- What’s to be included in the project?
- What is to be excluded or performed by others?
- Is the owner furnishing any equipment or materials?
- Is pre-purchased equipment, like switch gear or lighting fixture packages, going to be paid for by the owner or will payment responsibility be assigned to you the sub-contractor?
- During what hours is the work to be performed?
- Where will your employees park and who will pay for parking costs of your or your employees vehicles?
- Who will dispose of demolished materials?
- If there is saw cutting or core drilling of concrete needed who will perform it you or the general contractor?
- In high rise buildings ask if the structure is post tension cable. If so, every penetration through a floor will need to be x-rayed. Who will pay for x-rays?
- In high rise buildings ask what elevators can be used to move materials and what times it is allowed and not allowed to use elevators.
When estimating electrical cost, to win more jobs and make more money always do job-walks on projects when you can. Take lots of notes, and ask plenty of questions. Remember, The only dumb question is the one not asked!
Try Red Rhino Electrical Estimating Software free for 30 days.
Many customers report they double their estimating speed or better.
Red Rhino Electrical Estimating Software offers a 30 day free trial.
Just click this link to sign up.
You will immediately get access to our online software.
Training videos will guide you step by step to learn how to navigate.
Call us if you have questions.
866-444-7411 X 1
At Hard Hat Industry Solutions, Inc. we are dedicated to giving electrical contractors the information, tools, training and coaching you need to rapidly grow your business, make more money and live a life of freedom. When estimating electrical costs Red Rhino Electrical Estimating Software is the tool to use to bid more jobs and make more money.
John Kelsey is National Trainer for Red Rhino Electrical Estimating Software.
e mail – email@example.com